Friday, March 29, 2013

Bead Soup

 


 

 

WELCOME TO MY BEAD SOUP!

I'm going to post this Friday night because I'm not sure when I will be able to get on Saturday.  I hope this doesn't break any rules.

First thing is a confession/apology.  I didn’t send my lovely and talented partner Jasvanti a focal or a clasp.  In retrospect I can’t believe it.  Seems impossible.  However, I think my brain was muddled by a very small example of a ‘perfect storm’.  I was new to blogging, new to Bead Soup, mistakenly interpreted the rules for seed beaders as being different from the regular rules, and was also facing minor outpatient surgery (which was making me incredibly nervous) as I needed to send my soup.  So let me just say I’m sorry for that!!!  Here is a link to Jasvanti’s blog Jewelry by Jasvanti.  Even though she was short changed, I still can’t want to see what she made.  I'm also looking forward to spending a lazy Saturday afternoon looking at as many of the other blogs that I can manage. 
 

Time to reveal the creations from my soup. 

Jasvanti was very generous, she sent me a huge number of beautiful beads.  I was able to complete 3 pieces, and still have beads leftover.  After letting the soup simmer for a couple of days, I decided I really wanted to use the colored leaves/flowers she sent. I don't usually gravitate towards pastels but they intrigued me.
 
 
The first piece I did is a pink, black and white one, which has an Art Deco feel to me.   It uses pink leaves, as well as black and clear crystals from the Soup.  I glued it on the top of a small box and gave it to a friend.  It has quite a bit of sparkle.
 

 
 
The second piece is inspired by the ocean. My partner lives in California, where I lived many years ago. When I swam in the ocean I enjoyed watching the large fronds of kelp move back and forth in the water so gracefully.  This piece utilizes leaves and flowers and many blue crystals from the soup. 
 
 
 
 
 

The third piece I finished uses the focal.  I must admit I had a bit of a struggle with that bead.  I loved its elegance, but I wanted to create something other than just beauty.  Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate beautiful things.  I tore the piece apart a couple of times.  The piece also uses black crystals from the Soup.  I have a bit of crystal photography frustration.  The piece looks much better than the photograph.

 
 
 
 

At first I used orange crystals for the eyes.  A creature born of lava should have fiery eyes.  However, they blended in completely with the background, so I tried green.  In retrospect green might have been the perfect choice.  My lava creature could perhaps be the green-eyed monster (jealousy).  I was curious where the reference came from, and found out it is probably from Shakespeare.  He used the phrase in both Othello (green-eyed monster) and The Merchant of Venice (green-eyed jealousy).

I am looking forward to continuing to learning about all you beautiful bead artists in cyberspace.  It’s a new and exciting world for me, I love exploring all of your blogs.  The Bead Soup Blog Party has definitely been loads of fun.  I'm glad you came to visit!  Don't forget to check all the other blogs, the full list can be found on Lori Anderson's 7th Bead Soup Blog Party website here.

 

A HUGE thank you to Lori Anderson <3   

 

48 comments:

  1. I am amazed by your work, I especially love the last one, actually looks like lava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice. Your use of color is great!! ~KM http://kraftymax.blogspot.com/2013/03/7th-bead-soup-blog-party-reveal-33113.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting and different. What did you do with the seaweed one? Is it a wall piece, as in seed bead painting?

    I like the idea of the box top for your friend in the mostly pink and black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes the seaweed one will probably end up as a wall piece. It's not framed yet, I tend to focus more on the process than the product.

      Delete
  4. Amazing work !
    Lots and lots of beautiful designs here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can tell that you put a lot of work with those tiny little seed beads and your art is amazing! My favorite is the lovely pink box and I hope you're having a great time with the Party Blog hop too! *Ü* http://loribergmann.blogspot.com/2013/03/bead-soup-7-revealat-last.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, love how different all three pieces are from the same soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz,
    I am glad you were able to come up with some amazing embroidery pieces with the soup I sent you.
    I hope you are felling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ocean piece is absolutely incredible. I lost myself in all the swirls. Big wow!


    And PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE turn off CAPTCHA so we vision-challenged beaders can comment without wrestling unclear letters and number to the bead mat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about the CAPTCHA, I thought I had turned it off. Thank you for letting me know! I think this time I really turned it off :-)

      Delete
  9. I'm on the 3rd reveal, I'm partecipating for the 3rd time on BSBP
    you are very talented, I love your works!
    ciao dall'Italia

    ReplyDelete
  10. firstly, I just love the tribute to Lori. hehehe

    You have incredible detail in your work. Excellent.
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work, you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely incredible beading. Wow!

    Thanks for popping by to see my reveal today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work. I especially love the ocean piece. It too seems to move and the colors are just amazing. Let me just add that I share your crystal photography frustration. :) Other than that, life is grand. Here's to more time to bead!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to meet a trinket box I didn't love :) Yours is no exception <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I love your work. It's beautiful and outside the box at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Your second piece is just spectacular! It has such flow and I am just amazed it is beads. wow excellent soup!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome beadwork! My favourite is the "oceanview".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning, and an awesome use of colours, love ♥ your beadwork!

    ReplyDelete
  19. super embroidery, creative! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blew my mind! I also make bead box creations and that pink beauty would never leave my side. Over the years sometimes the beads come loose so I am now using the two part pollyurethane on top of my creations (FYI) Deco rules....

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG!!! You are a true artist. Your designs rock! Such details and expertise! Thank you for sharing your awesome talents!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Omg those boxes are just incredible! Fantastic bead work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cool creations - what fun to see the way you incorporated the challenge into your own style, and how beautifully you did it! And the George Clooney picture at the top made me laugh out loud - too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Refreshing to see a completely different interpretation! Very nice work. Your underwater theme is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are amazing, and your George Clooney made me happy (I just posted it on my Facebook page!). You are truly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the pink and black, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous! I love the movement you achieved in that second piece.

    ReplyDelete
  28. At first glance I was jealous that you got George as part of your soup mix, WHAT? I love the compliment to Lori, she's amazing alright. So are you, your work is absolutely beautiful and I love that you shared your thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You must have the patience of a Saint! Love the ocean themed piece, it is so pretty.

    Your boat analogy is so apt too.

    Keep beading - it's all fab!

    Keren

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, stunning! I especially love the Art Deco box :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning stuff! I'm always so impressed by people who can weave.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well done, you are a fantastic seed beader. I like the pink and black one the best, great color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your pieces are all so exquisite that I can't even begin to decide which of them I like the best. The last two are the ones that really call out to me. I like your variation in colors in that second one and then the depth of the third one. You've got some serious talent!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow you have made some beautiful pieces. Your deco style work is now so bang on trend and totally beautiful. Love your quirky lava creature, your sea inspired work is stunning i can only dream of making something that exquisite! Thank you for popping to my blog. I am still going through the list too!! Look forward to seeing more of your future work.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome smart people. Please, tell me what you think.