Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for Dream




Day 4.  Today you get another poem!  Last poem for a while.

What I love about this poem by Edgar Allan Poe is that it questions the very nature of reality.  It expands that few second haze between the sleeping and waking states, where dreams continue to echo in our minds, and pushes it to encompass our entire lives.  What is real?   And for those who may not be interested in questioning  reality, Poe brings in the concept of time. All we can do, is watch time pass.  Once this very moment is gone, we live in the dream-like quality of our memories.   This masterful blending of consciousness and time makes me aware that indeed we are not masters of our fate, we are simple beings in the cosmic slipstream, watching grains of sand slip through our hands.



A Dream Within A Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow
And in parting from you now
Thus much let me avow ---
You are not wrong who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away.
In a night or in a day
In a vision or in none
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand ---
How few! Yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep
While I weep --- while I weep!
O God! Can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream.

Edgar Allan Poe

4 comments:

  1. Love your beaded embroidered letter. Edgar Poe has such a hauntingly beautiful style! And this poem is so profound!
    Hope you are having a great time reading, writing and connecting with fellow A to Zers :)

    Shilpa Garg
    Co-Host AJ's wHooligan for the A to Z Challenge 2014

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a powerful poem...that place in between seems to be a place I spend a significant amount of time. I have not read this one before, but read it 3 times now ~ once quietly, twice out loud. Those dark nuggets paired with the green teardrops are a perfect combination for "D"reams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I love the beads you created for D, I love the poem, and I love your blog... I started reading back and before I knew it was October! I must stop now as I have some A to Z drafts to complete today but I've bookmarked your blog and I shall be back, it's been really lovely to find another bead loving person in the Challenge!

    Mars
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete

Welcome smart people. Please, tell me what you think.