Tuesday, April 15, 2014

M is for Macke and Marc


Franz Marc and August Macke were part of the German Expressionist movement.  Expressionism was a literary and artistic movement arising around the beginning of 1900.  The goal of the Expressionist painters was to impose their own sensibility onto the world being depicted.  They were representing an inner experience, what an image meant to them. They were not after a photographic likeness.  They used inventive powers to evoke emotions.  Expressionism developed perhaps in reaction to the dehumanizing effect of industrialization.  The increasing availability of photography may have also helped push painters to want to distinguish themselves as having a different role than just that of faithful reproduction. 

Both Marc and Macke died early in their artistic careers, fighting in World War I.  August Macke died at the front in Champagne, France at the age of 27.  Franz Marc died at the age of 36 during the Battle of Verdun.  The price of war is so very high.   If they would have survived the war, I wonder if they would have continued to paint.

August Macke, Vegetable Fields, 1911
August Macke, Lady in a Green Jacket
Franz Marc, The Large Blue Horses, 1911
Franz Marc

Copyright Information.  All images are used with permission, are in the public domain, or constitute fair use policy in accordance with educational purposes
 

7 comments:

  1. This is what I like about the A to Z Challenge, it points out my areas of ignorance (there are many of them). As a result of this post I read up online about Expressionism, which was fascinating. I'm not an expert now, but I know a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning. You can never be bored when you have something you like to learn about. Bravo to you for taking on a new language. Now to me that sounds like a daunting task :-)

      Delete
  2. These are beautiful! What a tragic loss. I have never heard of these artists before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely paintings, I particuarly like the 2nd one you've shown, am also still impressed your beading every letter!

    Out of curiousity, how long does it take to bead each letter? And do you have the ideas for colours/patterns before or do they develop around the shape of the letter?

    Mars
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never plan anything. I dig through my stash of beads and then just start stitching. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes I tear things apart. The process is just as important to me as the product. I love being in a creative mindset. A letter takes maybe 2-3 hours.

      Delete
  4. Very colorful artwork. Interesting story to share.

    ~~DJ

    ReplyDelete

Welcome smart people. Please, tell me what you think.