Saturday, March 25, 2017

Bead Soup Strikes Again!

Welcome to Lori Anderson's amazing and very popular Bead Soup Blog Party.  For bead lovers, it's the party of the year.

My partner was the lovely and very talented Hannah Rosner, from Good River Gallery.  When I looked at her work I was simply blown away.  She has been beadweaving since 1986 and lampworking since 1992.  She began teaching both lampworking and beadweaving in 2000.  She has participated in Battle of the Beadsmiths, the Toho Bead Challenge, and so much more.  Was I intimidated?  Well, maybe just a little.  But, I had a bead I absolutely loved that needed to go into expert hands.  With Hannah I hit the jackpot!

I sent a few little things, but the main event was a bead based on a painting by Alphonse Mucha


I bought this bead at my local bead store, and for all the great love I felt for the bead, I never knew what to do with it.  I was told it was Japanese, hand painted on ceramic.  It is one of a kind, signed by the artist.  I can't wait to see what Hannah did with it.

So, now on to my journey.  Hannah sent many beauties that I am not finished playing with.  Ahhhhh the joy! 



The first thing that caught my eye was the gray and black banded agate, which I combined with a piece of driftwood and a wooden hoop to make into a wall hanging. The agate is quite translucent and the light shines through it just beautifully.



There was no question that I would also use the second agate slice, the red one.  I loved the color, so warm and deep.



I ended up making a heart patterned after Amor by Anne Hesse.  Even though I'm not particularly fond of hearts, I like this piece.


I still have the fossil to play with.  Who knows what it will become.  Thanks Hannah for being a great partner.  Once I'm done at Hanna's blog, I'm going to go head over to Barbara Fernald's  blog.  Barbara was Hannah's second partner and makes some very amazing stuff.  I particularly like her use of tumbled beach rocks.

A giant thank you to Lori Anderson for once again making this happen.  Nothing better then spending my Saturday morning with a few cups of coffee and 160 bead blogs

37 comments:

  1. I love your work so much. I've always wanted to do that kind of stitching but I'm always afraid I'll screw it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At 10:30 a.m. still in my PJs looking at blogs. The wall/window hanging with the agate is so unusual and cool! I love how well the green works with the colors in the banded agate. The heart piece is stunning. I like the way the dagger beads along the edge give it an edgy quality, setting it apart from the "preciousness" that hearts sometimes have. I think it's really an interesting coincidence that we were both Hannah's partners, and we both used unakite in pieces that featured hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Liz I love what you did with those earthy stones! I always have a hard time covering up a stone that is translucent. It just loses so much, so I try to keep the back open so the sun can shine through. And you did exactly that! I love the feel of the drift wood with it - it is just gorgeous. I'm not a huge heart fan either, but I do love these that you are making. the agate slice brings out the inclusions in the Unakite - it is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual you have outdone yourself!!!
    The gray agate wall hanging is just fantastic and my favorite is the heart, I love the colors!!!
    I have a passion for stones since I was a little and growing up in Brazil, were there some stones.
    I ❤️❤️ It

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Liz, you never disappoint your viewers. The wall hanging is beautiful and so out of the box the green beads are the right touch of color for this piece. I love the heart, maybe because I'm a heart lover Its funky and I love that too.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I'm overwhelmed, as usual, with your creativity. You've done a wonderful job Liz! Thanks for being a great partner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I used to say I wasn't a heart person, but I can't anymore. So many artists like you make wonderful hearts, I have to like them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely amazing heart!! Great job Liz/ as usual!/ Why, WHY I missed BSBP????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely necklace. Your bead weaving is exceptional. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your creations!! Your style is so unique and I just adore The driftwood piece. And that heart just made my jaw drop!! It`s so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    love, love, love both of your pieces!! Great job!
    Alenka

    ReplyDelete
  12. WoW! I love agate so that banded agate is just singing at me ... and I love hearts so that one is harmonizing along with the wall hanging ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work! The first piece is a great way to let the agate shine, but the heart makes my heart sing. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with the focal you sent Hannah, and seeing what she did with it -- awesome!

    Your wall hanging is genius. And oh, I love that heart! And how wild, I had no idea I'd paired two people who did bead weaving! Serendipity!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did some really awesome asymmetry here! I'm loving the organic look of the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you turned the banded agate into a window hanging to let the light shine through it. I also love the heart, kind of lopsided (who isn't?) and I love the colors you selected.
    Janeen Burlingame

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another bead embroidery fan - I absolutely love your beaded heart, great colour selection and design. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my i love what you have made with your soup! the wall hanging hoop is amazing the colours look fantastic! Your beaded heart is wonderful.x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely pieces! I'm always incredibly impressed by people who work with seed beads... and wow, you knocked it out of the park! That wall hanging is lovely! I'm really fond of the heart, too... Beautiful work! (And what fun that you have the fossil left to play with! I'm sure you will make something awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Liz, Your wall hanging is wonderful. The green beads really make that black agate stand out. It is fun to see something besides jewelry. Your embroidered heart is fabulous. Bead embroidery is my favorite technique. Great job using your swap beads.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Incredible designs! I just love that wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That heart is awesome! Your bead embroidery is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very creative. The wall hanging is a great idea and really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Cool sculptures. How big is the heart? It would make a great pendant if it is small enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's way too big to be a pendant, 5 inches high and 4 inches wide. Making smaller ones is a great idea.

      Delete
  25. Liz, your bead embroidery is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful artistry! I love the heart! The addition of the "spikes" along the edges were perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE the driftwood wall hanging. The way the light comes through it is really something!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such fun!! I have no doubt that whatever you do with the fossil, the end result will be just as wonderful as the wall hanging and the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What beautiful and unique pieces. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would never know you weren't fond of hearts because that piece is beyond stunning! I love everything about it and wish I could hold it to look at it even more closely. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love how you've integrated the agate!!! - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sometimes it's hard to come up with words to describe your emotions when looking at such beautiful pieces. Yours are just that... so amazing, artistic, fantastically beautiful. Great job on your soup.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome smart people. Please, tell me what you think.